LAHORE: Justice Ali Akbar Qureshi of the Lahore High Court (LHC) has directed Services and General Administration Department (S&GAD) Secretary Sikandar Sultan Raza to ensure removal of all encroachments from Miani Sahib Graveyard.
Earlier, the secretary reported that a subcommittee had been formed to verify the claims of illegal occupants.
The judge said the formation of the committee was a clear violation of the court order, as encroaching upon a single inch of the graveyard was illegal. The secretary had been ordered to appear before the court in person.
The judge observed there was no need of any verification, and illegal constructions should be removed. Nobody could occupy the land of the graveyard and there was no need to verify any claim, the judge observed.
The judge also directed the secretary to speed up the process against illegal occupants and monitor the subcommittee formed to launch an anti-encroachment drive and speed up the process against illegal occupants.
On Tuesday, February 10, the secretary submitted a report stating that the provincial government had decided to launch an anti-encroachment drive from February 17. He said that a subcommittee comprising member (colonies) board of revenue; executive district officer (revenue); deputy district officer (revenue); and the Miani Sahib Graveyard Committee (MSGC) secretary had been formed to verify the claims of those who were presently occupying the land of the graveyard.
The judge further observed that the audit report concerning the graveyard was incomplete and auditor must take over all record of the graveyard committee and do the job strictly according to the court’s order.
The judge was hearing a petition filed by Sayyed Muhammad Shah, challenging the sale of graveyard land to the Lahore Development Authority (LDA).
Sorce: Daily Times